Travel Tips for Tibet


Tibet Tours




Contact us




Private Tours

Private tours may be arranged at any time.
They are available for groups of any size and are customised to suit your interests.

For suggestions & recommended itineraries >>>
Central Tibet including Mount Everest
Motorbike Tours

Group Departures
We offer group departures of 2 itineraries.
These operate on set dates and are ideal for those travelling alone as you join with others to reduce costs and share your experience.
Tibet Permits

To visit Tibet you should have a valid passport, a Chinese visa and Tibet Travel Permit, it is also called a Tibet Entry Permit. When you book the tour from us, we will obtain the Tibet Travel Permit for you from the Tibet Tourism Bureau, so all what you need to do is send us clear scan copies of your passports and Chinese visas for every member of the group to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit (TTB). by email and we will take care of the rest. If your China Visa is not an “L”visa, then you must also provide additional documents such as student certificates, work permits, residence permits and so on.
Please note that it’s impossible for a foriegners to board either flights or trains to Tibet without the Travel Permit.The permits themselves specify every destination and towns that you would visit during the tour and cannot be changed once you have arrived in Tibet; therefore, make sure that you have listed all your interested places in the tour with your tour operator before they apply for the permit. It usually takes 5 to 10 working days for theTibet Travel Permit to be issued, then if your tour included restricted areas like Mt.Kailash or further eastern Tibet, then you will another permit from the Tibet Military department which would take another 5 to 7 days.
Military and PSB Permits are only needed for those trips going through sensitive areas or a border region; these trips include the Mt. Kailash trip, Sichuan-Tibet Overland Tour, Tibet-Kashigar Overland Tour and so on. Alien's Travel Permits are necessary if you are going to Mt. Everest Base Camp, Samye Monastery (southern part of Tibet), Nyinchi (Eastern part of Tibet) and Mt. Kailash, but these can be issued from the local PSB just before you enter the region.

Chinese Visa

If you plan to enter Tibet from Nepal, you must get the TIBET GROUP VISA from the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu despite whether or not you already have a Chinese Visa. The Tibet Group Visa is an A4 size sheet of paper, with the name, sex, nationality, passport number, date of birth and occupation of each member of your group listed. The dates of entry and exit are precisely recorded. Usually, the visa is valid only for the length of the trip you have booked but it's possible to get the visa extended for few additional days, for stays in Lhasa only. There will be two original copies of the Tibet Group Visa, one for immigration at the entry and one for the exit. We can easily help you with the Tibet Group Visa application. 

Entering Tibet from elsewhere in China you will need to obtain a Chinese tourist (L) visa prior to travel. We also strongly suggest you not mention your trip to Tibet on your visa application form, because Tibet is a politically sensitive area and mentioning it as a destination on your application might reject the visa. You can use your return flight tickets and hotel reservation in other cities of China to get the visa.